A History of Newton
Photographic, Andrews & Son, Andrews-Newton Photography and Greg
Newton Photography from 1940 to present time.
1940 - Bill & Jean Newton started a photography business working
from their home at 326 Wilbrod St., Ottawa. This commercial
and portrait photography business grew with the acquisition
of the Ottawa Citizen contract for news photography. Newton
Photographic Associates Ltd. has as many as 20 staff photographers
and lab technicians through the 1950's.
1958 - Andy Andrews formed his own photography business known
as Andrews-Hunt Photography. They did largely commercial photography
and some portrait work. The name was changed to Andrews & Son
when Andy's son David joined him in the early 1960's.
1974 - Andy Andrews & Greg Newton formed a partnership to
become Andrews-Newton Photographers Ltd. Andrews-Newton Photography
was a full service photographic business specializing in Portrait
& Commercial Photography. They worked out of studios on Sparks
St. and O'Connor St. until 1994.
The City of Ottawa Archives has all of the files from Newton
Photographic, Andrews-Hunt and Andrews Newton Photographers
Ltd. There is a conservative estimate of 1/2 million images
on file at the Archives. This is a chronicle of the Ottawa
scene from the late 1940's until present day.